- Mr. Pettibone is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
- He has arbitrated over 25 international commercial cases in New York, Stockholm, Moscow and Kyiv.
- He has served as tribunal chairman in New York, Stockholm, Moscow and Kyiv, as party-appointed arbitrator in Stockholm, Moscow and Kyiv and as sole arbitrator and emergency arbitrator in New York.
- The institutions under whose arbitration rules he has arbitrated cases are: UNCITRAL, AAA, ICDR, the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP), the Russian Arbitration Center at the Russian Institute of Modern Arbitration, ICAC attached to the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and ICAC attached to the Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Mr. Pettibone interfaces well with arbitrators from civil law jurisdictions.
- His approach emphasizes processes that are efficient and cost effective.
- He has been trained in the use of video conferencing technology and techniques to conduct hearings on a virtual or remote basis and has participated in arbitrations conducted remotely using video technology and techniques.
Some of his recent cases have included
- Party-appointed arbitrator in a Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce (ICAC Ukraine) arbitration involving a dispute between a Russian chemicals producer and a Ukrainian pipeline company (in Russian)
- Party-appointed arbitrator in a Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) arbitration involving a dispute between a American supplier of equipment and a Ukrainian state-owned company (in English)
- Chairman of an ICAC Ukraine arbitration involving a dispute over the ownership of a winery in Crimea (in Russian)
- Party-appointed arbitrator in a Russian Chamber of Commerce (ICAC Russia) arbitration involving a dispute under an acquisition agreement between a large Russian industrial company and sellers who sold shares to the Russian company (in Russian)
- Chairman of an SCC arbitration involving a dispute between an Eastern European supplier of equipment and a large Russian industrial company (in Russian)
- Chairman of an SCC arbitration involving a construction contract dispute between a Western retail operation doing business in Russia and a Chinese state-owned construction company (in English)
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration at the Russian Arbitration Center involving a dispute under a construction contract (in Russian)
- Sole arbitrator in several International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) arbitrations in New York brought by an American franchisor to enforce rights under franchise agreements with international franchisees (in English)
- Sole arbitrator in an ICDR arbitration in New York involving a dispute between a New York construction company and an entity in China over the payment of finders fees
- Mr. Pettibone is an accredited mediator by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).
He has been trained as a mediator by CEDR, by the New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section and by CPR.
- He is a Special Master at the Appellate Division, New York State Supreme Court, First Department, is on the roster of mediators at the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court, and he has successfully mediated cases in both courts.
- He has mediated cases on a virtual or remote basis using video conferencing technology and techniques.