875 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
+1 212 918-3510 (office)
+1 917 495-7070 (mobile)
Serving Russian and CIS companies and international companies
doing business in Russia and the CIS as:
- Independent arbitrator and mediator
- Adviser on corporate governance
- Independent director
Pettibone is a retired partner in the global law firm, Hogan
Lovells. From 1991 to 2010, he was the managing
partner of the Moscow offices of three international law firms,
including Hogan & Hartson LLP from 2000 to 2010, and
resided in Moscow.
Based on his experience of
living and working in Russia for 20 years and his fluency in Russian,
Mr. Pettibone offers the following services:
- Serving as an independent arbitrator and mediator with a
particular focus on the resolution of commercial disputes between
Russian and CIS companies and their Western counterparties
- Advising on corporate governance issues, including proper
board procedures and composition, and the adoption and implementation of
corporate codes of conduct and best practices
- Serving as an independent director
Arbitration and Mediation Experience
- Mr. Pettibone is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of
- He is listed as an arbitrator/mediator with the following
international arbitration institutions – USCIB (the US national
committee of the ICC), the LCIA, AAA-ICDR, CPR, the Vienna
International Arbitration Court, the Dubai Arbitration Center, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, the
new Russian Arbitration Association (RAA) and the
International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Russian
Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICAC).
- He has been trained as a mediator by the New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section and by the International
Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR).
- He was the chair of an arbitral panel formed by the
Joint Corporate Ethics Commission of the Russian Union of
Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) in 2009 to resolve a multi-million dollar dispute
involving a finders’ fee agreement.
- He was the sole arbitrator in an ICDR
arbitration in New York in 2013-2014 to resolve a contract dispute between a company in New York and an entity in China.
has been appointed by the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm
Chamber of Commerce to be the chair of two separate tribunals to
resolve commercial disputes between Russian companies.
Mr. Pettibone's experience as a practicing lawyer included:
- Negotiating and implementing Merger & Acquisition
- Drafting and negotiating Shareholder Agreements and Joint
Venture Agreements, including agreements where the state or a
state-controlled entity is a party
- Advising on Minority Shareholder Rights
- Drafting and negotiating Share Purchase Agreements
- Supervising corporate Due Diligence investigations
- Advising on Corporate Governance issues
- Forming off-shore holding company structures
- Drafting and negotiating Employment Agreements and
resolving disputes between the employer and the employee
Franchise Agreements and Distributorship Agreements
- Drafting and negotiating Franchise Agreements and
Distributorship Agreements and advising on related trademark issues
Real Estate Matters
- Counsel to the American partners in the Joint Venture with
Intourist to construct, develop and operate the Radisson Slavyanskya
Hotel and Business Center in Moscow
- Representing foreign governments in acquiring real estate
in Moscow for their embassies
- Mr. Pettibone represented the first three space tourists –
Dennis Tito, Mark Shuttleworth and Greg Olsen – in their successful
negotiations with the Russian Space Agency to fly to the International
Space Station on Russian Soyuz space craft.
Recent publications and speeches
- Author of an article
"The Scope of the Public Policy Exception to the Recognition and
Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Russia", which will be
published in The American Review of International Arbitration in 2014.
of an article "The Nonarbitrability of Corporate Disputes in Russia",
which was published in Arbitration
International, Vol. 29, No. 2 (2013).
- Speaker on the limits of business confidentiality and the
attorney-client privilege in Russia, at the US-Russia Business Council
annual meeting in Houston, Texas, October 2013
- Chair of a panel
on Promoting Russia as a Seat of International Commercial Arbitration,
at the American Bar Association Conference on Dispute Resolution held
in Moscow in September 2013
- Speaker on the topic of State Immunity at the III St. Petersburg Legal Forum in May 2013
- Author of an article “Should Russia be in the BRICs?”,
prepared for a Practicing Law Institute conference in New York on doing
business in the BRIC countries, July 2010.
- Author of an article in the February 19, 2010 issue of The Moscow Times,
entitled “Russian Avatar”, on his years of living and working in Russia.
- Author of an article in Legal Week,
November 22, 2005, on the legal issues facing space tourists in flying to the
International Space Station.
- Speaker on corporate ethics in the board room
and the fiduciary duties of directors, at a conference on Corporate
Ethics and Globalization organized by Infor-Media and held in Moscow in
- Chairman of a conference on Intellectual Property Rights
organized by the Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) and
held at the International Trade Center in Moscow in September 2004.
- Speaker on the topic of dispute resolution in international
financial transactions and project finance at the Conference on Dispute
Resolution Involving Russian/CIS Parties organized by EuroForum and
held in Moscow in June 2004.
Board Positions and Memberships
- Mr. Pettibone is a founding member of the Board of
Directors of the US-Russia Business Council (USRBC), and was a member
of its Executive Committee and chair of its Compensation Committee from
1993 to 2009. He is now an Honorary Director of the USRBC.
- Mr. Pettibone was counsel to the US-USSR Trade and Economic Council from 1974 to 1992.
- Mr. Pettibone was co-chair of the Investment Committee of
the American Chamber of Commerce in Russia (AmCham) from 2000 to 2010.
- Mr. Pettibone was a member of the Board of Directors of the
International Tax and Investment Center (ITIC) from 1993 to 2009.
- Mr. Pettibone is a member of the Council on Foreign
- Princeton University, AB, summa
cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School, JD
- New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
Bar Association Memberships
- International Bar Association (IBA)
Bar Association (ABA). Mr. Pettibone is a Senior Adviser to the
Russia/Eurasia Committee of the Section of International Law of the
ABA and a member of the ABA Section on Dispute Resolution.
- He has been a member of the steering committees for the annual
conferences on dispute resolution sponsored by the ABA and held in
Moscow in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- New York State Bar Association, Section on Dispute Resolution
- New York City Bar Associaton and member of its International Commercial Disputes Committee
- Native English speaker
- Fluent in Russian
Copyright © 2014 | Peter J. Pettibone.
All Rights Reserved